The Equine Medical Center is here to help with your horse's emergency and critical care needs. As the largest and most comprehensive equine hospital in the region, we offer unparalleled emergency services 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. In the event of an emergency, call 703-771-6800 to reach our specialists.
Specialized Facilities & Comprehensive Care
Our board-certified specialists and highly skilled staff use state-of-the-art facilities and equipment with life-support capabilities to monitor and manage patients with any type of emergency.
- Patients that require intensive and critical care, such as those recovering from emergency or elective surgery, are monitored and treated by a team of specialists in our ICU.
- Our 5-stall Level 3 ICU is equipped with an array of portable monitors, fluid pumps, and an oxygen delivery system.
- We offer 24-hour continuous monitoring of patients, including newborn foals.
- Our Clinical Diagnostic Laboratory provides a full spectrum of emergency diagnostic testing. Complete hematological and biochemical analysis of blood and fluid samples, including complete blood counts, determination of electrolyte, lactate and blood gas values, and blood-type cross matching for transfusions are available around the clock.
- Diagnostic imaging services include the full complement of all imaging modalities available to the horse.
- Our Biosecurity Level 2 Isolation Unit allows horses with potentially contagious diseases to be physically separated from hospitalized horses and the general equine population to minimize the risk of patient-to-patient infection.
- The free-standing isolation facility has eight self-contained stalls with independent air exchange and is fully equipped with advanced diagnostic and treatment equipment for adults and neonates.
- Horses arriving at the center with a fever or evidence of an infectious disease are immediately placed in our Isolation Unit.
Emergencies & Appointments: 703-771-6800
In the event of an emergency, or to schedule an appointment, refer a patient, or inquire about our other clinical services, please call 703-771-6800.