The Equine Medical Center offers a wide range of equine reproduction services. Our board-certified surgery and theriogenology experts are experienced in managing complex equine reproductive cases and our full-service hospital provides leading-edge services, including comprehensive diagnostic imaging and specialized neonatal intensive care. We also provide consultancy on equine reproduction problems to clients and referring veterinarians.
We offer comprehensive diagnostic testing services for mares with fertility problems. Our experts are available to offer advice on assisted reproductive technologies for preserving genetic material from mares, geldings, and stallions that have terminal illness.
Twin pregnancy in the mare is undesirable, often resulting in either mid-to-late term abortion or dystocia. We offer a range of options for the management of twin pregnancy.
- Early recognition of twin pregnancy via transrectal ultrasound between days 14-16 post-breeding allows management by manual reduction of one vesicle. This method of early management has been highly successful and is responsible for the low incidence of twin pregnancies on breeding farms.
- When twins are diagnosed later in the first trimester, treatment options include surgical and non-surgical methods to reduce twins to singleton pregnancies.
Our board-certified surgery, internal medicine, and theriogenology experts provide evaluation and management of high-risk conditions that threaten the well-being and health of the developing fetus and pregnant mare.
Using state-of-the-art diagnostic imaging and laboratory services, our experts can diagnose conditions such as placentitis, inflammation of the placenta, and uterine infections.
Our board-certified surgery and theriogenology experts routinely perform reproductive surgeries using minimally invasive procedures that offer faster healing time. We commonly perform:
- Routine and cryptorchid castration
- Ovariectomy (normal and pathologic ovaries)
- Correction of poor perineal anatomy
- Endometrial cyst removal/ablation
In addition to laparoscopic-assisted surgery to remove retained testes, or normal and pathological ovaries, we also offer closed castration, where the scrotal skin incision is closed in addition to the deeper layers enveloping the removed testis. This procedure is an attractive option when colts and stallions need to be gelded and returned to competition quickly.
We offer specialized care in the management of dystocia and other reproductive emergencies that can severely compromise both the mare and unborn foal. Prompt recognition of dystocia and early intervention by our team of board-certified veterinarians in reproduction, medicine, and surgery is vital to a successful outcome for your mare and foal.
Appointments and Referrals: 703-771-6800
To schedule an appointment, refer a patient, or inquire about our reproductive services or other clinical services, please call 703-771-6800 or email email@example.com.